Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Back in Antigua, Home Sweet Home (kind of)!

Emily and I made it back to Antigua yesterday after another long trip from La Ceiba. While the river rafting didn't work out (even the tourist offices are closed on Sundays), we had an equally exciting adventure navigating the local buses for the trip back. At one point, we must have looked really confused, because a sympathetic Honduran woman had us follow her as we walked through a local market to take a "chicken bus" to then make a connecting bus. Thanks to her kindness, we made it back to Copan for another evening (mosquito-free!!!) before catching a shuttle back to Antigua the next morning.

I must admit, Antigua now feels very homey. The pure Spanish is a refreshing change from the melodious Spanish/English/Carribean mix that was spoken in Utila. And we continually run into people we've met from our week at the Spanish school here, as well as people from our other travels. On top of it all, I actually can claim I know where I'm going as I walk around the city now. (Not really the case for Em, who still manages to pretty much head the wrong direction about 80% of the time.) I even managed to find the post office this morning on the first try after asking, in Spanish no less, one of the armed guards who vigilantly watches the bank! We also found a very cozy, and immaculate (quite the rarity) hostel here for a pricey $15 a night. We're living it up now!

Sadly, Emily's plan for the week involves writing another draft of her thesis. I, however, after my glorious walk to the post office, am feeling very confident and am planning a two-day trip via local buses to some villages around Lake Atilan, and a sprawling market at Chichicastenango. At least I'll have a few days leeway in case I get stuck somewhere along the route before our flight out on Saturday.

As for the hurricane update, no signs of it here so far, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Emily's still in denial regardless of how many texts she gets per day from concerned friends and family. You gotta love her...

No comments: